Friday, December 21, 2007

10 Days Later

Sorry, I haven't posted for a while. I promised my sister I would post something. Big news is that I have moved into my apartment on the Praterstern. Hectic day yesterday. Getting the deposit from the bank (a story in itself for a later time), taking occupancy, running around like crazy getting essentials, then getting to bed early so I could get up before 6 to get ready for work and be able to catch the bus to Seibersdorf (where my laboratory, SAL is located.) That's the worst aspect of the new job; having to get up early every morning to take the bus. Still getting used to it, still have terrible jet lag.

Other quick observations about Vienna, store hours are bad. Stores close at 7 (or 1900 as we say in Europe) during the week and at 6 on Saturday. And Sunday? Forget it, everything is closed!

Vienna had a reputation for being expensive even before the dollar took a dive versus the Euro, now it's unbelievable. I spent $5 for a cheap glass. $45 for a bath mat, $24 for a towel.

Oh well, the bread is great here and so far it hasn't been too bad.

3 comments:

Paul K said...

Mike, It sounds like moves all over the world share a lot in common. We are glad you have finally landed in Vienna. My brother was posted in Germany (Groupe Bull) about 15 years ago, I am surprised to hear that the store hours haven't changed since that time; guess you will have to have forced relaxation time! We hope you will be paid in euros considering the disadvantage in th exchange rate. Continued best wishes and good luck from the Kriston Family

ML said...

Merry Christmas Mike! The halls are lonely past 5:30 without you. :< I have to close down the place myself! Look forward to hearing about your exciting new adventures! Take care!

Jolene said...

Hi Mike -

Hope you are having a great time in vienna - should be a great adventure! Sorry I missed your going away party - just found out about this blog this week from Frank and Glen. Hope you had a good holiday - I will be checking in on you occasionally..Jolene