Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Vienna Sixth Day

I did not get the house; the German couple that saw it the day before I did decided to take it. I did get the apartment in the 2nd District though which is a nice consolation. One nice thing is that the landlord has a washer and drier in the basement and allows the tennants to use it free of charge. That saves several hundred euros in having to buy a washer and drier. It is in a great location for the bus to Siebersdorf also as it is only one stop away on the U1 line (there are 5 rapid transit lines in Vienna, U1, U2, U3, U4, and U6, it is not known why there is no U5). I will be going out to Siebersdorf tomorrow. Taking the shuttle out there from the VIC at 11:30.

Also, got more interesting news from the employee orientation. 4 of the 10 IAEA holidays are withing the next 3 weeks. I will have Dec. 20, 25, 26, and Jan. 1 off. Since Dec. 20 is an Islam holiday, I will on that day be able to shop for furnishings for the apartment since stores will be open, unlike the other three holidays. I should be able to move in to the new apartment sometime next week so I will be in it for Christmas. Good news. I should also be getting my post adjustment deposited into my new bank account this week so I will have funds for the 3 month deposit I will have to put down.

Also met a few more people from the lab today as there was a meeting in the VIC for principal players from SAL. I have now met the three unit heads along with the QA officer and met once again the Lab director who I met in June at NBL.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Michael,

Sorry to hear you didn't get the one place, but I'm glad you have an apartment at all! Living in a hotel cannot be fun. Sounds like you're getting the hang of getting around Vienna and the IAEA!

Take care of yourself, will you?
Mary

Anonymous said...

Glad to see that you are getting along in Vienna just fine. Apartment hunt is not much fun, can be exhausting and quite often disappointing. Just consider that you are very lucky to be in Vienna in the year 2007. 15 years ago, you would have been searching for an apartment for months. The market has changed dramatically. Just ask David Donohue about his multiple Vienna adventures in the ‘70s, 80’s, and 90's. - If you like to go to the movies I recommend the Artis in the first district, only a five minute walk away from St. Stephan’s Cathedral. They have a large selection of recent movies in their original format, mostly showing movies in English. On the way to the movie theater from the “Stephans Dom” subway station you will pass by one of the most famous ice cream stores in Vienna: Zanoni. I know, I know…, but if I am not mistaken they do even have delicious ice cream for diabetics. The Haydn on Maria Hilferstr. is another theater showing original movies. Check the Internet (or newspaper) for latest shows at www.film.at.
Take care and have fun in Vienna, Stephan

CheeSimba said...

Hello there Mike glad you were able to get a place. I would love to help you out in your Vienna search for places to go but.. I haven't been there! Oh what about beat me up Paul? I guess I could ask him If I could get myself to even talk to him again. I would love to see some more pics. Toronto weather is very cold and white with all the snow. Great for Christmas. Well take care talk with ya soon. Hugs Chee and Simba oops eek spell check