Saturday, December 8, 2007

Vienna Third Day



Saw one more place today. Far away the best place in terms of both quality and value. A little more expensive than the places I waw yesterday but worth every Euro! On a very non-descript street with closed factories and a closed munitions store on the corner, you walk through an older apartment building's entrance into a courtyard where there are two identical small houses. Their owner lives in the right hand one, the other one is for rent. The place is two floors with two washrooms and a living room. The kitchen is small is but well-appointed with gas stove, small refrigerator, small microwave, dish washer, a pass-through into the living/dining area. A room that could be a guest room or an office. A walk-in closet! In Vienna! The second floor has two bedrooms. There's lots of storage areas. It's impecably designed. The owner is now involved in teaching music but used to be an garden architech and said he was a frusterated architech and it shows.

The bad news is that I was a day late to see it. He showed it to a german couple yesterday and gave them till Monday to decide. I think they would be crazy not to take it but if they don't, I will! Otherwise I will spend less money and take the apartment I saw yesterday.

I then had dinner with Drs. Harald and Jane Poths and their lovely 10-year old daughter Patricia. They were employed by Los Alamos prior to the family's move to Vienna and is currently a house husband, although he it thinking about volunteering to teach at a local university in the hope that it would turn into a paying job. He is a native of Gemany and served as my guide the last three days. He is a jovial and nice man and I cannot even begin to express how much he has aided me. Jane is the Mass Spec Section Head at SAL, and if my other co-workers are half as nice as she is, working at SAL will be a dream.

On the way to their apartment, I figured out a sure way to make my luggage arrive. I stopped and bought some underware, socks, and a dress shirt for Monday. Of course when I got to my room tonight, my luggage had arrived! So the hostage saga is over. And I have clean underware!

In computer news, my external hard drive is mysteriously not being recognized by the PC. Not good but maybe I can get it to recognize it again. It seems to be a problem with the USB interface rather than damage to the disc. I also have a problem with the integrated memory card reader with the laptop as it is not able to read my camera's memory card. It keeps giving me a semaphore error when I access the pictures, although it can read the card's directory structure fine. Because of the expense of using the internet in the hotel room I was unable to extensively research the problem, but it seems to be a problem with the Vista driver for the reader, as other people have been reporting similar problems. Hopefully it will be fixed with Service Pack 1 for Vista which I last heard was to be released in the first quarter of next year.


In good computer news though, I realized that the cable that connects my USB hub to the laptop is the same type used by my camera and my mp3 player. So even though I forgot the cable at home and the card reader doesn't work, I can share some pictures with you, I hope. These 2 pictures are of a statue we passed on the street while coming from an apartment viewing. Let's see if I can figure out how to upload them to the blog.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Soon the posts will become less frequent and more terse as I start work on Monday.

5 comments:

It's me, it's me, it's Johnny P said...

I am glad you have clean underwear! Probably better then the tighty whiteys you bought there!

waggs said...

Hey Mike - got your blog bookmarked now - very interesting reading and thanks for the updates...good luck with getting your apartment situation finalized

Mary said...

Michael,

I'm glad to hear your luggage finally found you! Good luck with the apartment. I hope the German couple doesn't take it! The pictures are lovely and I'm jealous of you being in such a beautiful and interesting place! Keep the pictures coming and take care.

CheeSimba said...

Hello Mike it's Cheena and Simba Greeting from Toronto, Canada.
Glad to to hear you got your underwear situation sorted. And I to hope you get that Lovley apartment. Glad to hear that you got your laugage! Simbas birthday just passed. He is growing up fast. keep the pictures comming and hope to hear from ya soon. Love Chee and Simba

CheeSimba said...

Hello Mike it;s Rick! Glad to hear you got your luggage. Hope you get the apartment you want! keep in touch! Rick